Sunday, December 12, 2010

British Accents

As I was writing one of my stories earlier today, I realized something quite interesting- and a bit odd. I had recently watched Titanic and parts of Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone, both of which the main characters have British accents. Now, one thing you must know about me to understand where I am coming from is that after watching about three hours worth of people talking in British accents, I tend to think and occasionally speak with a British accent as well. It is actually quite fun. So, as I sat writing in my room, the little voice in my mind was saying what I was writing with a British accent. What I then realized was that it was actually making my writing sound better. I do not know how, but it did. Somehow, it sounded more formal and mature (or maybe I was still reading it like a British person). Nevertheless, I shall now always write with my little British voice in my head, because one- it mysteriously improves my writing skills, and two- who doesn't like talking in a British accent?
I have decided to add a little something new to my blog posts. I have recently started a Commonplace Book, or, more plainly put, a book of quotes. I spend a lot of time looking up quotes lately to write in my very pretty leather bound journal I bought from Barnes and Noble. So, I have decided that I will add my favorite quote as of that day to the end of my blog posts from now on. Hopefully they will inspire you as much as they inspire me. (And if you want, read them in a British accent- it makes them sound so much prettier.)
Beauty of whatever kind, in its supreme developement, invariably excites the sensitive soul to tears.
~Edgar Allan Poe

No comments:

Post a Comment